Thursday, July 7, 2011

I've been asked "Why FABULOUSLY Fit 50?"

7/7/11
I've been asked "Why FABULOUSLY Fit 50?"
The year my paternal grandmother, Anna Mae Smith (affectionately know as Ma-Mae), turned 100 yrs old was such a special year for me.  I had never known anyone who had lived that long & she was the only grandmother I had ever known since my maternal grandmother didn't live to see her 41st birthday due to heart disease.  As we planned for the big event I tried to imagine what it must be like to have lived that long.  Finally the day came to pack up the family & head to Clinton, NC.  It would be the first & last time that my mother & grandmother would meet face to face or ever see each other again.  We arrived a few days before the event so that we could spend time with Ma-Mae.  I remember her telling me "Shug, I don't know what Walter is making all this fuss about just because I'm turning 100, I'm gonna be around until I'm at least 106."  It was at that moment that I told my grandmother that I hope to be as active & full of life as she was when I reached half her age.  From that moment on I hoped to be active like my grandmother by the time I turned 50!

No comments:

Post a Comment