Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Habari gani? IMANI

Habari gani? 
IMANI 

This is the last day of Kwanzaa. Kwanzaa was created to introduce and reinforce seven basic values of African culture which contribute to building and reinforcing family, community and culture among African American people as well as Africans throughout the world African Community. Imani, which means "faith" is observed on the last day. 

Each of the seven days of Kwanzaa represents a principle or value that stands at the heart of the origin and meaning of Kwanzaa. These principles/values are not only the building blocks for community but also serve to reinforce and enhance them. The first day of Kwanzaa is Umoja, which means unity in the family, community, nation and race.

I share this tiny bit of information about Kwanzaa because it's been about 20 years since I went to my first community Kwanzaa event and stated teaching it to my family. This year I used the principle Kuumba, which means "creativity" for all my gift giving. I made everything that I gave throughout the holiday season. I had patterns to get me started but then my Kuumba came into play and I started creating from there. The items pictured here are a few of the Zawadi, which means gifts that I gave to my family. 

From top to bottom, a hat, bracelet, iPod caring case and a cell phone caring case with a short handle. Not pictured are pillows, slippers and cell phone caring case with a long strap. I also baked my world famous Oat Meal Raisin Walnut cookies.

This year I'm going to be using the seven principles a lot more often. Ujamaa, which means cooperative economics. I'll be making more items to be sold in order to raise money for the American Heart/Stroke Association's Train To End Stroke program, which is the Ujima, which means collective work and responsibility and Nia, which means purpose. Lastly, I'll be using Kujichauglia, which is self-determination. I'm determined to reach my goal of raising at least $5,000 for the AHA in memory of my mother. If you'd like support by making a purchase or donate please contact me (850) 702-4521. Fitness Focused FAITH!

No comments:

Post a Comment